This American Life and Serial Productions make radio programs and podcasts including This American Life, Serial, and S-Town. Our offices are in New York City.
Below is a list of our current open positions. We also offer a paid production fellowship.
Finance Manager, This American Life & Serial Productions
Posted: March 13, 2018
We’re looking for a talented, curious, collaborative, detail-oriented Finance Manager to join our team. In the past several years, the organization has doubled in size, and the person in this role will work alongside the CFO and the top management team to assess and implement the organization’s finance functions at this critical moment in the company’s history. We’re looking for someone who’d be interested in growing this into a Controller role as we refine and grow our financial systems.
The Finance Manager will execute the day-to-day financial functions of the organization. This means doing the bookkeeping for the entire organization, but also contributing beyond the core accounting function. This person should be an expert on the accounting basics, but also have the skills and appetite to help our CFO shape the broader financial operations. We’re looking for someone who speaks accounting fluently, but who also loves to identify and solve complex, analytical problems.
What You’ll Do
- Work with the CFO to build the future roadmap for the financial operations of This American Life and Serial Productions
- Manage execution of weekly and monthly financial close processes, including reconciliation (bank and credit card statements), invoicing, and preparation of Quickbooks financial statements
- Lead the processing and accounting for all payables and receivables, using bill.com and Quickbooks
- Assist with a variety of FP&A tasks including budgeting and forecasting
- Prepare financial analysis and reporting for the executive team
- Master the companies’ financials, and proactively look for both errors and opportunities to improve financial performance
- Identify ways to continually automate, tighten, accelerate, and otherwise improve financial operations processes
What You Have
- 3+ years of real-world bookkeeping experience – ideally experience working in-house or at an accounting firm
- Minimum college-level accounting degree and deep understanding of GAAP practices; CPA preferred
- Expertise in Quickbooks and Microsoft Excel
- Intense attention to detail, the ability to spot trends and aberrations, and experience managing multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously
- The ability to communicate both big and small-picture financial information to people who aren’t well-versed in finance and accounting
- A positive, proactive and collaborative attitude and the ability to work with a wide variety of personalities
- An interest in radio and podcasts
This position is based at the This American Life and Serial offices in New York City. This American Life and Serial Productions are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers that actively seek diversity in the workplace.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Finance Manager.”